A ceiling fan will help you save money by not running the air-conditioner on those days when all you need is air movement. To keep your family comfortable and energy costs low, set your fan to spin counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter. The clockwise motion in the winter makes cool air rise and redistributes warm air. Redesigning your front yard can completely change the feel of your house. Something as simple as planting flowers in the entryway will draw in party guests, and, when the time comes to sell, curb appeal is attractive to prospective buyers. Improve your front landscaping, paint your front door, power wash the front walk or complete another curb appeal project this year.
- Sand and refinish hardwood floors with a lighter stain.
- And, they’re free with the purchase of a new carpet.
- Learn about home improvement, home safety and home maintenance.
The Taylor residence is filled with the typical odds and ends that you would expect from a series firmly entrenched in the 1990s. The set designers brought those pieces in from two specific sources. Based on the standup comedy of Tim Allen, Home Improvement ran for eight seasons on ABC. It focused on Tim Taylor, a former tool salesman turned TV host, and his family.
- The hypocaust is an underfloor heating system that was used throughout the Roman Empire in villas of the wealthy.
- To keep this project affordable and doable, try papering a focal wall or a small, low-humidity space like a powder room or closet.
- Try replacing your showerhead with a newer model so you can achieve a spa-worthy bathing experience in the comfort of your home.
- You can avoid buying special tools for one-time use by wrapping your soft-leather work glove around the fitting and using your
I tried a lot of other service companies and none hold a candle to House Doctor… Countertops can be a tell-tale sign of a dated house. Participants of a Maytag survey prioritized upgrading their countertops to something more on-trend. If your laminate kitchen countertops are worn but still sound, give them a fresh, new look by resurfacing them.
They can be nearly impossible to hold onto while installing them. Give your fingers a break by rubbing a strong magnet several times over the tool’s shaft to magnetize it and temporarily give it the ability to hold onto tiny screws by itself. An audit simply tells you what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your house. But, following the advice presented in the audit results can save tons of money on future energy bills. For products to be rated as Energy-Star certified, they have to meet strict high-efficiency …
They lived in suburban Detroit with a neighbor that was full of great advice and didn’t show his full face until the series finale. But the Taylors’ house was filled with more than a few subtle details many fans might have missed. Invest in area rugs to make “rooms” in open spaces.They’re the quickest way to create cohesive areas for dining, lounging, etc. Add a pendant to the entryway.Try something eye-catching and cinematic. It should take less than an hour to replace the current fixture, to the tune of about $100 for installation.
Installing hardwood flooring can make a dramatic improvement to any room in your home! Installing the hardwood is not that difficult but does require a couple of specialty tools to do the job right. Most importantly you need an air compressor and hose as well as a flooring nailer/stapler. Just about anyone who has older hardwood floors …
Transform the mood of the kitchen with a bold new backsplash in ceramic or glass tile. Just make sure the wall is sound before you start the installation. Choosing one color and clean-lined tile for the backsplash in a small kitchen keeps the look uncluttered and roomy. If you have a window that faces frigid winter winds, replace it with a high-efficiency unit.
- With the advent of the internet came new opportunities to get rid of stuff—namely, house fixtures for sale on neighborhood websites.
- Set enough easily-available emergency money aside, even if you’re sure that nothing will ever break, to cover the costs.
- The minimum amount of equity you’ll need to leave in your home when you refinance varies by loan type and by lender.
- The best time to get a skylight installed is when you’re getting a new roof.
- For products to be rated as Energy-Star certified, they have
Professional landscaping can cost anywhere between $500 – $3,000 according to Matke. Not sure what he’s going on about, so instead, head to Blackwater to meet with Sadie to start the next quest, An Honest Day’s Labors. After tearing it down, Uncle tells you to go to a place called “Cakes Hardwood and Timber” to buy a house…
- Stylish designs can be found at your local home improvement center.
- If you want to add more safety features to your home but can’t seem to follow through, make it one of your top priorities in the new year.
- One-time and recurring maintenance solutions make it easy to keep your home in tip-top shape.
- A cash-out refinance isn’t the only way to get funds for home renovations, but it’s likely to be easiest on your budget.
Put recessed lighting under kitchen cabinets to illuminate the countertop and reflect light into the rest …
The most important thing to remember when installing grab bars is to find the studs and mount the bars directly to them. Miss the studs and you’ll be pulling out more than the bars when you put your weight on them. Create extra storage in a snap with kits for bookcases, shelving, or cabinetry that you assemble yourself. Try a combination of open shelving and cabinets for a mix of storage and display space.
- Add drama to a staircase with distinctive railings or embellishments.
- Neutrals are always a good idea for walls, but cool-toned neutrals in a small home
You can make sure the lawn is refreshed and green by re-sodding or planting grass seed, and you may want to do edging to help define spaces. “A few newly planted shrubs and perennials tucked in for good measure will make your house feel much more finished and inviting,” Matke suggests. The only British show to make this list, “Grand Designs” is hosted by Kevin McCloud, who follows folks as they build their dream homes. Far from the average home, many of these new builds push architectural boundaries, feature ultra-modern design, or place emphasis on energy efficiency. Almost every episode of the series finishes with a tour of the new house, giving audiences the opportunity to peek inside some of the world’s craziest and most expensive designs.
- It’s probably less expensive and certainly more convenient to install a backyard shed or hire a handyperson to create access to hidden places
Having to buy whatever is available in an emergency, and paying financing charges and interest on top, will only drive up the cost of stuff you already don’t want to buy. With flagstone or cement pavers, you can easily make an outdoor patio in a weekend, no mortar required. Add potted plants and outdoor seating, such as a bistro set or an eclectic mix of colorful chairs, to create a quaint backyard escape.
- Try our refinance calculator for an idea of how much cash you could take out on your home.
- The more equity you have built up , the more money you can convert to cash.
- By submitting your email, you agree to our Terms and Privacy Notice.
- Make boring cabinets sing by replacing the door inserts.
- What is lighter than Dove Wing but can still be paired with a white trim .
Looking back I’m not sure if …
“You simply will not get your money back on those types of additions, and buyers might be more apt to reconsider if it’s not something they’ve always dreamed of, too,” Matke explains. To quickly and easily rehabilitate your existing fireplace, a gas or wood-burning insert adds energy efficiency to your home without tearing apart your hearth and mantel. Equipping your fireplace with glass doors blocks heated and cooled air from escaping and amplifies the fire’s heat, which in turn reduces energy costs. Closing the damper when the fireplace is not in use will help keep cold out of your home and add to heating efficiency. Having your fireplace and chimney professionally cleaned will also improve fireplace efficiency.
- Even newly constructed homes can see huge benefits from having an energy audit performed.
- “The older the home, the more need, true need, there is to do projects such as , windows, efficiency,