Calling a contractor to repair or improve every single thing gets expensive fast. What if there were a way to know what they know about home improvement? Here are 17 of the best time and money-saving home improvement and care hacks that only a contractor would know about. Grab bars are one of the simplest ways to make an existing bathroom more accessible. Stylish designs can be found at your local home improvement center.
- Give outdated floors a refresh with our step-by-step guide to painting and stenciling ceramic tile.
- Look for windows labeled low-emissivity (low-E) or spectrally selective—they have a coating that reduces thermal heat transfer.
- Earlier, we talked about repairing your own plumbing.
- With flagstone or cement pavers, you can easily make an outdoor patio in a weekend, no mortar required.
- Not every clogged drain or drippy faucet needs professional plumbing help.
For larger holes, place an adhesive patch …
Having to buy whatever is available in an emergency, and paying financing charges and interest on top, will only drive up the cost of stuff you already don’t want to buy. With flagstone or cement pavers, you can easily make an outdoor patio in a weekend, no mortar required. Add potted plants and outdoor seating, such as a bistro set or an eclectic mix of colorful chairs, to create a quaint backyard escape.
- In addition to the amount of cash you can gain, getting a cash-out refinance can come with other benefits, too.
- Learn about home improvement, home safety and home maintenance.
- The bright, colorful wallpaper that had been popular now has to go.
- And, they’re free with the purchase of a new carpet.
- Sand and refinish hardwood floors with a lighter stain.
In most cases, you’ll need to leave some money in the home to refinance. Assume you can …
Our remodeling experts will help you choose from a wide selection of doors that fit the look and feel of your home. We only install the highest quality doors and back it up with 103 years’ reputation in the business. Exceptional energy efficiency and durability, limited manufacturer’s lifetime warranty, expertly measured & installed.
The most important thing to remember when installing grab bars is to find the studs and mount the bars directly to them. Miss the studs and you’ll be pulling out more than the bars when you put your weight on them. Create extra storage in a snap with kits for bookcases, shelving, or cabinetry that you assemble yourself. Try a combination of open shelving and cabinets for a mix of storage and display space.
My husband and I tried to install our new over the range microwave. However….he insisted I mount the bar slightly lower than the …
Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication. All I need is a good quality storm door to go on back door. I don’t want to pay a fortune, just need something decent that will last. I thought I found a good one but it has so many bad reviews so am scared to… Getting into interior design and need book recommendations.
- Your foundation already has a big job to do holding up the house.
- Consider installing a skylight in the kitchen, bathroom, or hallway where other natural light is limited.
- Each garage is unique to the home, and storage needs are unique to each homeowner, so custom shelves make the most of your space.
- Dress your windows.The Shade Store can install anything from ripple-fold curtains to wood blinds just 10 days after you order.
- The key to perfecting this DIY project is
You can make sure the lawn is refreshed and green by re-sodding or planting grass seed, and you may want to do edging to help define spaces. “A few newly planted shrubs and perennials tucked in for good measure will make your house feel much more finished and inviting,” Matke suggests. The only British show to make this list, “Grand Designs” is hosted by Kevin McCloud, who follows folks as they build their dream homes. Far from the average home, many of these new builds push architectural boundaries, feature ultra-modern design, or place emphasis on energy efficiency. Almost every episode of the series finishes with a tour of the new house, giving audiences the opportunity to peek inside some of the world’s craziest and most expensive designs.
- It’s probably less expensive and certainly more convenient to install a backyard shed or hire a handyperson to create access to hidden places
The Mighty House radio show has been a labor of love for over a decade (another number I should know… but I don’t… it’s been longer than that). If you are a listener or a viewer over this amazing internet thing, Your feedback is what keeps us going. Please comment on Facebook or call the show – you can say whatever you like – it’s your dime. These days “home improvement” spans a gamut of possibilities. We call it “Home” not “House” improvement for a reason.
- That means $40,000 stays in the home, and you take out $25,000, minus closing costs, in cash.
- You’ll need to add some windows and a staircase, too, which can rob you of space elsewhere.
- And just like with painting walls, a good neutral color is best.
- We are always adding new articles and videos, so be sure to add us on your favorites and
A ceiling fan will help you save money by not running the air-conditioner on those days when all you need is air movement. To keep your family comfortable and energy costs low, set your fan to spin counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter. The clockwise motion in the winter makes cool air rise and redistributes warm air. Redesigning your front yard can completely change the feel of your house. Something as simple as planting flowers in the entryway will draw in party guests, and, when the time comes to sell, curb appeal is attractive to prospective buyers. Improve your front landscaping, paint your front door, power wash the front walk or complete another curb appeal project this year.
- Glue thin trim pieces to the mirrors for a high-end look.
- Another of Canada’s preeminent designers, Candice Olson hosted HGTV’s “Divine Designs” for all of its 16 seasons.
Tape the pattern on the decorative paper applied to the wall; use a crafts knife to cut around the template and peel away the paper above the cut. Spruce up every room in your home with our collection of quick and easy do-it-yourself home improvement projects. Each one can be completed in just a weekend and increases the function—and style! Schedule a time for our specialist to start making your project a reality. Fixed all of my items within the time allotted and took the initiative to complete a repair that I hadn’t thought of.
- And it’s possible to patch a small tear, but you can also replace an entire screen.
- If you’re looking for a “safe” color, gray has been trending in recent years, Norris says.
- Our Owens Corning roofs come with a manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty, professional installation supervised by our project managers.
- It’s better to be safe
Professional landscaping can cost anywhere between $500 – $3,000 according to Matke. Not sure what he’s going on about, so instead, head to Blackwater to meet with Sadie to start the next quest, An Honest Day’s Labors. After tearing it down, Uncle tells you to go to a place called “Cakes Hardwood and Timber” to buy a house…
- It also comes with a long list of things to do to keep the home in working order or improve our surroundings.
- But the living room has several models of classic cars around it, as well as an antique car poster above the mantle.
- Cellar conversions are comparatively inexpensive, but creating a new basement can be seriously pricey.
- Stainless steel, stamped tin, wrought-iron grillwork, glass, and wood painted to match your flooring or countertops are all possibilities.
Stick with vertical fabric prints, like stripes, to make the walls look tall. Make a …
A new shower head, toilet seat and taps will spruce up your bathroom without breaking the bank. New grouting can also be relatively cheap depending on the size of your bathroom. You should also replace carpets with vinyl or tiles as they’re easier to clean.
For a modern take on beaded board, try wider plank paneling. Make a worn dining table or old countertops look luxurious by transforming them into chic marble focal pieces. This unique and crafty DIY combines leftover project paint, ultra high-gloss epoxy and basic craft supplies to recreate the veining lines and texture found in real marble.
Arrange wall-mount shelves above a desktop framed by cabinets or file drawers to fashion a home office or a kid’s homework station. Whether an art-arranging project went awry or you’re tired of looking at dings around the house, concealing wall blemishes is a weekend-worthy project. With a putty knife …